Home Depot has a very similar military discount policy to Lowes. They give the EVERYDAY 10% military discount to anyone that is on Active Duty but have tighter restrictions on Veterans. It appears like you need a “Specific DOD-issued ID” to verify you are eligible for the Home Depot military discount.
They do have several days like memorial day or the 4th of July where you can get the 10% discount without the DOD-issued ID card.
I like to order my items online at HomeDepot.com and then pick them up in-store. When you order a product online for local pickup and they would be able to apply the Military discount at the store when you pick it up.
A new change to their policy is that the 10% military discount is limited to $500 worth of products. This means that the maximum you can save per trip is $50.
How to Get the Home Depot 10% Military Discount ONLINE
Most people know that you can get a 10% military discount at Home Depot. That’s pretty awesome. But did you know that you can get your 10% military discount ONLINE?
Here’s how you do it:
- Go to HomeDepot.com or Lowes.com, Add all the items you wish to purchase to your cart. Make sure to click on the “Pick up in Store: Free” button. Then go to checkout.
- When you are done checking out, you will receive an email confirmation telling you your items are ready to be picked up in-store.
- When you get to the store, tell a customer service rep that you are a member of the military and ask if they can help you get a 10% discount on your online pickup.
- In order to get the 10% discount, it must be something that they carry in-store. If they don’t carry it in-store they won’t give the discount to you. If they don’t know what’s going on just return the item and buy it right then with your military ID for the 10% off.
That’s it! You can place your order using whatever payment you would like (credit card, gift card, debit card, etc.) and your 10% discount will be applied when you pick up your order.
How I ALWAYS get 20% off at HOME DEPOT
For our latest update on Home Improvement Stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s visit our Home Improvement Stores (Lowe’s & Home Depot): Military Discount Page
Many of you already know and use the 10% military discount at Home Depot. It’s great and can be used any day of the year (just show your ID). Thanks, Home Depot for supporting the military!
However, I always get 20% off at Home Depot. Here’s how:
1.) I buy discounted gift cards online that offer 7%-9% discounted home depot gift cards. These sites basically buy and sell used or new gift cards at a discount (not just Home Depot cards) A couple of my favorites are:
- Cardpool.com and
There are others but those are the ones I’ve tried and found VERY fast and reliable. They have guarantees, so there isn’t a worry that you get a bad gift card or anything like that.
NOTE: Be sure to buy the gift cards that can be used in-store and not the “e-cards” or ones that can only be used online. Although there is a way to apply the additional 10% military discount on online orders, it’s a hassle. With the in-store gift cards, you can apply the additional 10% military discount when you check out.
2.) I use my discounted gift cards just like I would use cash to make all my purchases at Home Depot and I’m able to use the additional 10% military discount on all my purchases.
3.) When I buy my discounted gift cards online, I use a credit card that gives me 2% cashback. Most of you have a credit card that will give you at least 1% cashback.
NOTE: Credit cards must be used responsibly or they’ll bit you in the rear. I ALWAYS pay off my bills in full every month to avoid paying any interest.
So here’s the Final Discount: 10% military discount + 8% discounted gift cards + 2% credit card rewards = 20%.
Not bad for a store like Home Depot that’s hard for regular folks to get any discount. The savings really add up, especially if you own your own home or use home depot frequently. Here are some of my savings:
- Bought a new washer and dryer and refrigerator that cost about $1,000 = $200 saved.
- Painted several rooms in our house for about $200 = $40 saved
- Yard and pool supplies for about $300 = $60 saved.
Because YOU are Military you can do this same thing!
Anyways, I just thought I would share because ONLY military members are able to get these awesome savings. Comment with any questions or with your experience!
Did you know? Lowe’s also offers a military discount.