Many companies offer different forms of military discounts as a “thank you” to both military members and veterans who have dedicated themselves to serving our country. It’s a small token of appreciation for the sacrifice that one makes when dedicating their time, energy, and life to protecting others.
Like Home Depot, Lowe’s is one company that offers unique discount opportunities for both veterans and active military members.
It’s easy to take advantage of Lowe’s 10% military discount program. The easiest way is to sign up for the free MyLowe’s program and register as a military veteran. If you do this online, Lowe’s will use a third-party verification system to verify your military service (your data remains secure).
You can also provide proof of service at the Lowe’s Customer Service desk by showing a DD Form 214, military ID card, military retiree ID card, a driver’s license with a veteran’s designation, or another approved form of identification.
Once you are registered with MyLowe’s, you can simply give them your phone number of MyLowe’s number when you make a purchase and the discount will automatically be applied.
From there, all that’s left is for you to enjoy the discount on your next purchase.
Lowe’s Military Discount Policy at a Glance
Lowe’s military discount is pretty straightforward. Qualified recipients receive 10% off eligible purchases when they use the discount program. Of course, there are some exceptions, but overall, it’s a great way to save a bit of money on a variety of different products at Lowe’s stores.
However, there are some limitations and exclusions. Here is an overview, followed by more detailed information.
Military Discount Eligibility:
- Current and former US armed forces members, to include Active Duty, Guard, Reserves, Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), United States Public Health Service (USPHS)
- The respective spouses and immediate family members of the above.
- A military ID card or veteran ID card is required to get the discount
- MyLowe’s program enrollment is required to obtain the discount for online purchases
Military Discount Exclusions:
- Clearance items
- Certain promotions and items from select manufacturers (these are often manufacturer restrictions and not Lowe’s policy)
- Certain commodities with small margins
- Installation services and freight
- Gift cards
- Military discounts may not be stacked with other promotions
Before you start making your shopping list for your next home improvement project, it’s essential to verify that you are eligible to receive Lowe’s 10% military discount.
Lowe’s Military Discount Eligibility
All active duty military personnel, Reserve members, retired veterans, service-connected disabled veterans, former military members, and their spouses are entitled to receive Lowe’s military discount at all U.S. store locations. Note that individuals who were dishonorably discharged will not be eligible to receive this discount.
The Lowe’s discount is available to all members serving in the following branches of the uniformed services:
- US Army
- US Marine Corps
- US Navy
- US Air Force
- US Coast Guard
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- United States Public Health Service (USPHS)
- National Guard
Former Military Members:
- The discount is available to veterans who are retired from the US armed forces or who have been discharged (e.g., honorable, under honorable conditions, general).
- Individuals dishonorably discharged or discharged for bad conduct are not eligible to receive a Military Discount.
MyLowe’s Registration – The Easiest Way to Get the Military Discount
The easiest way to get Lowe’s 10% military discount is to sign up for MyLowe’s (basically a free Lowe’s store membership) account to verify your eligibility. This process can be done online ahead of time or at the customer service desk.
Regardless of this pre-registration, you need to present a valid military ID card or another valid ID card to the cashier at the time of purchase to receive your military discount. This ID doesn’t have to be a military or veteran ID card, but the name on the ID must match that provided during MyLowe’s sign-up. This is done to prevent members from sharing their discount as a MyLowe’s account can be applied by phone number alone.
Joining the MyLowe’s program is not required to participate in the Lowe’s military discount program for in-store purchases. However, it will save you time.
If you prefer not to sign up for MyLowe’s, a military ID card can be shown at checkout but will require verification each time.
Participation in the MyLowe’s program is required to obtain the 10% discount online.
Join MyLowe’s to Get the Discount
Once you’ve completed sign-up and verified that you qualify for Lowe’s military discount eligibility, you’ll be able to receive the discount on tons of great products in Lowe’s stores around the country. It’s simple, only has to be done once, and only takes a few moments of your time.
Step 1 – Visit the Lowe’s Website
If you decide to sign up for MyLowe’s online, you only need to visit Lowes.com/military to find out how to create your account. Once you’ve done that, all that remains is to verify your military service.
Step 2 – Verify Your Military Service with ID.me
Lowe’s uses a trusted third party to verify eligibility status for online enrollment and may require additional documentation or proof of eligibility.
This verification process occurs through a company that has a contract with the Department of Defense. They can securely review your information and confirm to Lowe’s that you’re eligible for the discount.
If you prefer to take care of things in person or for some reason the online verification isn’t working for you, you can also enroll at any Lowe’s location. Just bring your military ID, DD 214 form, or any other official proof of your military service to the store with you. From there, a store employee will be able to get your account set up so that you can start enjoying your military discount. This option is convenient and can save time.
For what it is worth, I was able to verify my military service upon enrollment into the MyLowe’s program. The process only took about 5 minutes and I’ve never had any issues since my initial enrollment.
Step 3 (Optional) – Enroll Your Family Members
If you would also like for your spouse or immediate family members to receive the benefits of your military discount, Lowe’s provides that option.
The process to connect your spouse to your account is simple. You can link their name to your MyLowe’s account, and from there they’ll be able to join and save money along with you. Just be aware that they’ll need to present ID upon making any purchases to verify their identity.
Step 4 – Take Advantage of the Savings at Lowe’s!
You’re all set! Just shop as you normally would at the Lowe’s warehouse and provide your phone number when checking out. The cashier or customer service representative will verify your information and the discount will be applied to eligible purchases.
You can also use the military discount online – just be sure to be signed in to your MyLowe’s account when making your purchases. The discount should be automatically applied when you are checking out.
Lowe’s Discount Exclusions
As with most discounts, there are some stipulations as to what you can and can’t buy. You can use your Lowe’s military discount on most products within the store, but, like other companies with military discounts, Lowe’s has a few restrictions.
Most of these restrictions are standard and won’t cause you to miss out on receiving significant savings through your discount.
Some exclusions include:
- You can’t combine the military discount with other coupons or promotions, including Lowe’s Price Match Guarantee, or special discount programs such as Contractor Packs™, Buy in Bulk, Bulk Savings, Special Value, New Lower Price and Was:Now),
- Cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Consumer Credit Card 5% Off Every Day discount.
- The discount cannot be applied to major appliances (including related accessories and parts), commodities (such as, but not limited to, electrical cable, electrical wire, dimensional lumber, plywood, and OSB), gift cards, previous purchases, fees, installations (sold separately or as part of a bundle comprising both product and services), or any other services (such as, but not limited to, rentals, labor, delivery, shipping, extended protection plans).
Keep in mind you can’t mix and match your military discount with other coupons or promotions. Lowe’s consistently offers a lot of different deals, promotions, and discounts. So, be sure to plan ahead and calculate whether using your military discount will allow you to save more than purchasing the item at the sale price.
Also, bear in mind that the maximum purchase amount for which the military discount can be redeemed is $5,000 equating to a maximum savings of $500 per purchase.
The discount is intended for personal use only, so it doesn’t apply to contractor packs and discounts provided for professionals.
Finally, there may be restrictions on certain commodities with thin margins or items from certain manufacturers. Again, some manufacturers have strict limits on the types of discounts that can be applied, and this may be a manufacturer policy, not a Lowe’s policy.
Can You Use the Lowe’s Military Discount Online?
You are able to use the Lowe’s discount online, provided you have enrolled in the MyLowe’s program and you verified your military service through Lowe’s. You must be logged into your MyLowe’s account to receive the discount at Lowe’s.
This happens to be a great opportunity, as Lowe’s consistently offers a lot of great online promotions. They also often have a number of online offers that can’t be found in the warehouses.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who Can Use the Discount at Lowe’s?
- All current and former members of the US Army, US Marine Corps, US Navy, US Air Force, US Coast Guard, US Space Force, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps (USPHS) or National Guard, and their immediate family members (spouses).
- Offer not available for veterans with a dishonorable discharge.
Are the Military Savings Available Online?
- Yes! You can use the discount at Lowe’s online or in-store. You must be registered with the MyLowe’s program and logged into your account when making your online purchase for the savings to apply to your purchase.
- To use the discount for in-store purchases, you will need to be enrolled in MyLowe’s and provide your phone number and a photo ID at the point of sale.
Are There Any Limits to How Much I Can Save?
- You can save up to $500 per purchase. But unlike some other stores, there are no annual limits on how much you can save.
Can I Combine the Discount with Other Promotions like Lowe’s New Mover or Project Starter?
- No – the Military Savings Program is a separate offer that cannot be combined with other offers or discounts.
How Does the Lowe’s Military Discount Compare to the Home Depot Military Discount?
Both companies offer a 10% military discount. Until recently, Lowe’s had a more generous eligibility policy. However, Home Depot recently improved their discount program to allow eligibility for more members of the military community. That said, Home Depot does have an annual discount limitation, which is not found at Lowe’s.
Otherwise, the military savings programs are similar in regard to eligibility, the amount (10% savings), and items the discount applies to (both stores exclude similar items, including commodities, gift cards, services and installations, and similar items).
In the end, Lowe’s military discount is just a small way for them to express their gratitude towards active-duty military members and veterans. 10% off may not seem like a lot at first, but it can certainly add up over time if you plan to do any major home renovation projects and decide to buy your materials at Lowe’s.
Did you know? The Home Depot also offers a military discount.