I just moved from Colorado to Texas which is a good thing when it comes to USAA’s auto insurance discounts.
Here are 3 ways to save an extra 10% or more off your auto insurance bill:
Don’t use USAA? Get a quick online auto quote
1. Sign up for automatic payments (Savings 3%)
- This is easy to do. Click on your Auto & Property Bill tab and on the right-hand side there will be a column that on the top says “I want to…”. Below is a link that says set up automatic payments. Click that and you are good to go.
When you do that you will notice this blurb in your statement
Then on your bill statement, you will see the following discount added!
2. Pay your automatic payments with a credit card (Savings 2%)
- The default option is just to pay the amount from your checking account but you can pay with any credit card you want.
- I would recommend paying with one of these cards (all give 2% back)
3. Ask for additional discounts if you call USAA
- Ask them straight up “What other discounts can you find that I qualify for?” “Are you sure there aren’t any other discounts?”
- In the past/present, I’ve qualified for a student discount, multi-car discount, passive-restraint discount, premier driver discount, and many others.
4. Bundle Your Insurance Policies
Many insurance companies, including USAA, will offer substantial discounts if you bundle your insurance policies with them. This usually works best if you can bundle a homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance policy. But you can also ask about bundling life insurance, RVs or boats, or other insurance policies.
My 6-month premium for 2 cars is $271.74. This is low because of many of the above discounts. That comes out to $22.58/month per car. Because both of my cars are probably worth under 6k (2009 Hyundai accent + 2001 Honda civic) I opted for just liability and not full comprehensive. I wouldn’t recommend full comprehensive if your cars are worth less than 6k.