Military families are known for moving. It’s summer (moving time) so let me give you some advice and how to find the BEST deal!
When Military Personnel have to make a PCS (Permanent Change of Station) they have two main options for moving all their household goods to their new location.
- Have the government do it. They will hire a commercial contractor to pack and move everything. This is the stress-free method. They do this at completely no cost to the military member as long as they stay within their “authorized weight limit” (example E-6=11,000 lbs or 0-3=14,500 lbs)
- Do it yourself. The ‘Personally Procured Move Program’ allows military members to do it themselves. They can receive 95-100% of the Government Contracted Cost (GCC). This is usually the ‘financially savvy or ‘no one touches my stuff but me’ method
In this post, we will compare Budget vs. U-Haul vs. Penske.
Budget and Penske both have official military discounts of around 20%. U-Haul does not have an official military discount but if you read below you can find out how to get one.
I am moving at the end of this month. In this post, I’ll compare the rates from all three companies and will give you an idea about the savings you can get by being a member of the US Military. The rates below are for my family’s move from Phoenix to Colorado Springs. The costs will vary from location to location and on different days of the week so make sure to check all three companies and verify your military discount with them before making your final reservation.
Teaser…Budget wins (Keep reading for all the details)
Budget Military Discount – 20% Off
- Budget offers 20% off for Military members. Use the code USMILORD (Click Here for Direct Link)
- My Trip:
- The quote below says $416 but my reservation was quoted for $325 a couple of days ago. Either way, it was way cheaper than the competition. Budget has great military discounts. If you enter “USMILORD” in the promo code section you will get 20% off your rental.
- You must present a valid military ID or dependent ID at the time of picking up your reservation.
- Final Cost: $416 (16′ Truck)
Budget Military Discount Offer Details:
To redeem this offer, customer must book online at budgettruck.com. Confirmation number will be provided to customer upon confirmation of rental deposit. Offer is subject to availability at participating locations and some blackout dates may apply. 24-hour advance reservation required. Offer is based on the US currency. Discount is 20% off time and mileage of “The Best Available Rate” on truck rentals. Discount cannot be combined with any other discounts, offers, coupons, special promotions, or commercial rates. Rates may vary by location and time of year. Taxes, fees, and surcharges are extra. Renter must meet Budget age, driver and credit requirements. Optional products such as damage waivers, PAC, refueling and other product services may apply and are extra. Offer is void where prohibited by law and has no cash value. Best available rates defined as the lowest publicly available on-line to Budget Truck customers. See your total on your reservation for the list of applicable charges. Rates are subject to change without notice. Rates are available to United States active duty military personnel and dependents with proper military identification and documentation, presented at time of rental.
U-Haul Military Discount – Varies
- U-Hauls does not have an official military discount. If you call their sales department (800-468-4285 – ask to be transferred to the sales department) they often will give a better rate for military members. Usually 10-15% off.
- My Trip
- They didn’t have a 16-foot truck to compare to Budget so I’ll compare it to their 14′ truck that cost $543. I called their sales department and asked if they had a military discount, the representative offered to give me 10% off. This brought the 14′ truck down from $543 to $493
- They said they would match competitors’ rates but not if included a special going on. I assume this meant other competitors’ military discounts. So not as cheap as Budget in this case
- Final Cost = $493 (14′ Foot Truck)
Penske Military Discount – 10% Off
- Penske offers 10% off for military members. They have an additional 10% off for booking online which adds up to 20%.
- My Trip:
- Penske wanted to originally charge me $635 with the 10% Military Discount. I told them that I had a reservation with Budget for much less. They said that they are willing to match other competitors but only up to $200 from the original Penske quote. So $635-$200 = $435. Still not cheaper than Budget
- Final Cost = $435 (16′ Truck)
Other Related Discounts:
You may also be able to save with local or regional moving companies as well as companies that offer moving services, such as temporary storage, storage pods, and transporting vehicles.
- 10% off a PODS container with code SERV10: https://www.pods.com/resource-center/military
- $50 off military move from U-Pack with code MIL50: https://www.upack.com/articles/military-moving-discounts
If you are making a Permanent Change of Station anytime soon, consider getting multiple quotes from the companies above. If you prefer one company over another check and see if they will price match a lower price. If you have personal experience with a recent do-it-yourself move, tell us about it below in the comments section.