I recently learned that American Express waives all credit card fees for Active Duty Military members. I was informed by a military financial site called MilitaryMoneyManual. Their facebook page gives a couple examples of people getting reimbursed over $2000 for past fees
American Express has some awesome credit cards, like Blue Cash Preferred that gives 6% back on groceries or Airline Credit Cards that have 60,000+ mile sign on bonuses. These cards sometimes have annual fees which can be anywhere from $50-$499.
Take advantage of this great offer if you have an American Express card and free your self of the annual fees!
Chase Bank also will waive all fees. Read our post about Chase here
Here is a quick summary of how to qualify for the discount
- Call the number on the back of your card or 1-800-528-4800
- Tell them you are on active duty and had heard that AMEX offers to handle your account in accordance with the Service Members Civil Relief Act
- If they aren’t familiar with the program, act to talk to one of their supervisors
- They’ll ask you 5 questions about your Active Duty situation
- They will take about 4-6 weeks to verify your account and give you the discount
Here is a snippet of a letter written to MilitaryMoneyManual